Friday, April 8, 2016

2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 8

I hope the poems are coming easy for you this month. I know from experience that some days are easier than others and that if I just show up I never know what will happen: good or bad.

For today’s prompt, write a doodle poem. In my mind, I’m thinking of how I like to doodle when I’m talking on the phone or sitting in a meeting. I used to doodle in my classes when I was younger. So for a poem, I’m thinking this could start off as something small that stays small or builds to epic proportions. Doodle around a bit today. If needed, start by describing something close at hand or within your current field of vision.

*****

Poet's Market 2016

Poet’s Market 2016

Publish Your Poetry!

The 2016 Poet’s Market, edited by Robert Lee Brewer, includes hundreds of poetry markets, including listings for poetry publications, publishers, contests, and more! With names, contact information, and submission tips, poets can find the right markets for their poetry and achieve more publication success than ever before.

In addition to the listings, there are articles on the craft, business, and promotion of poetry–so that poets can learn the ins and outs of writing poetry and seeking publication. Plus, it includes a one-year subscription to the poetry-related information on WritersMarket.com. All in all, it’s the best resource for poets looking to secure publication.

Click to continue.

*****

Here’s my attempt at a Doodle Poem:

“I Don’t Know Why I Draw Birds”

But I do. And random skylines
that make little sense. Trees,

of course, without leaves
branching off into various

directions. Faceless people
and people with faces. Fish

swimming in the sky. Hills
covered in fire. Buildings

crumbling. Suns, moons,
and a hundred stars. But

always, somewhere, a bird.

*****

roberttwitterimageRobert Lee Brewer is not really an artist, but he loves doodling and is constantly amazed by the art created by his children. When he was younger, he loved making baskets with materials found in nature, in addition to batik.

Brewer is Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community, which means he gets to do a million things to help writers find more success with their writing (including this blog). He’s also the author of Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53).

Connect with him on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer.

*****

Find more poetic posts here:

The post 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 8 appeared first on WritersDigest.com.


from WritersDigest.com » Writing Editor Blogs
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/2016-april-pad-challenge-day-8

No comments:

Post a Comment