Writers today face a publishing landscape sprouting with diverse opportunities—from self-publishing services and indie imprints, to web publishing platforms like Medium, Atavist and TinyLetter. Such a paradigm shift necessitates that the greater writing community evolve in turn—a responsibility clearly recognized by The Authors Guild in the form of their new Emerging Writer Membership.
The oldest organization for writers’ in the United States, The Authors Guild has now opened up member services to new and unpublished authors, as reported Tuesday by Digital Book World. For more than 100 years the Authors Guild has provided crucial services to published writers of all stripes. Open to all writers “who are actively seeking to publish their work, but have not yet published a book and do not meet the income thresholds for full membership,” for $100/year the Emerging Writer Membership seeks to do the same for both debut authors and those still finding their narrative footing.
From assistance seeking an agent to tips for negotiating royalties, here are some of the Authors Guild benefits now available to new and unpublished writers:
- Seminars, Workshops & Events. Receive invites to nationwide in-person events that focus on the business and legal aspects of writing.
- The Writer’s Resource Library. Earn access to databases filled with valuable author-centric articles on topics as varied as help self-publishing to tips for pitching your book.
- Media Liability Insurance. Gain a discount on insurance that can help protect you against claims of libel, plagiarism, invasion of privacy and more.
- Authors Guild Bulletin. Obtain a subscription to this quarterly publication that covers the latest news in publishing.
- Events Calendar. Have the ability to add your writing-related events—readings, book signings and beyond—to a public calendar visible to all members.
- Marketing & Social Media Advice. Learn how to build and boost your online platform with resources and strategies provided by experts (available January 2017).
For a complete list of Emerging Writer Membership benefits and details on how to join, visit authorsguild.org/join/emergingwriter.
Tyler Moss is the managing editor of WD. Follow him on Twitter @tjmoss11.
The post 6 Authors Guild Benefits Now Available to Emerging Writers appeared first on WritersDigest.com.
from Writing Editor Blogs – WritersDigest.com