Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Wednesday Poetry Prompts: 370

For today’s prompt, write an evacuation poem. Today’s prompt is inspired by Hurricane Matthew churning through the Bahamas and toward the United States, but there are any number of reasons for people to evacuate. And myriad possible stories related to evacuations.

*****

Recreating_Poetry_Revise_PoemsRe-create Your Poetry!

Revision doesn’t have to be a chore–something that should be done after the excitement of composing the first draft. Rather, it’s an extension of the creation process!

In the 48-minute tutorial video Re-creating Poetry: How to Revise Poems, poets will be inspired with several ways to re-create their poems with the help of seven revision filters that they can turn to again and again.

Click to continue.

*****

Here’s my attempt at an Evacuation poem:

“Fire Drill”

Always 3 a.m. when some guy would pull the fire alarm
in our all boys dorm my freshman year of college. Always
on nights when I’d just fallen asleep after studying
for a test. And it seemed that it would always be a prank.

Until, of course, the night that I’d slept through the fire alarm,
because of a week of homework and tests. I remember
closing my eyes and then opening them to a large man
in a fire fighter suit telling me to get out, and I

stumbled my way down the stairwell as the alarm did its
best to disorient me (like usual) until I was
outside watching the boys’ faces watching and pointing at
the side of the building dripping water, because someone,

as I later learned, thought it’d be a good idea to play
with fireworks in the trash chute. And I don’t remember my
test later that morning or how I did in my classes,
only sprinkler water and not waking up on my own.

*****

Robert Lee Brewer is Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community and author of Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53). He would not recommend an all-boys dormitory to anyone who wants to sleep through the night.

Follow him on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer.

*****

Find more poetic posts here:

The post Wednesday Poetry Prompts: 370 appeared first on WritersDigest.com.


from Writing Editor Blogs – WritersDigest.com
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/wednesday-poetry-prompts-370

No comments:

Post a Comment