Friday, April 12, 2019

2019 April PAD Challenge: Day 12

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “The Art of (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles include: “The Art of Writing,” “The Art of Painting,” “The Art of Showing Up to Parties Fashionably Late,” and/or “The Art of Being Awesome.”

*****

Poem Your Days Away!

Online poetry prompts are great! But where can you get your poem fix when you unplug? The answer is the Smash Poetry Journal, by Robert Lee Brewer.

This book collects 125 poetry prompts from the Poetic Asides blog, gives poets plenty of room to write poems, and a lot of other great poetic information. Perfectly sized to carry in a backpack or purse, you can jot down ideas for poems as you’re waiting in line for a morning coffee or take it to the park for a breezy afternoon writing session (or on a bus, at a laundromat, or about anywhere else you can imagine–except under water, unless you’re in a submarine or a giant breathable plastic bubble).

Anyway, it’s great for prompting poems, and you should order a copy today. (Maybe order an extra one as a gift for a friend.)

Click to continue.

*****

Here’s my attempt at a The Art of Blank Poem:

“The Art of Parenting”

I might be paraphrasing, but Pablo Picasso once said
all kids are artists, but it’s tough sledding as adults,
and he painted Guernica, so he probably knows as well
as anyone, or he was just making it up or misquoted, but
I think parenting is a type of art that I was probably better at
when I was younger as an older brother, so I try asking my
younger self for advice when I run into problems as a parent,
who Will “the Fresh Prince” Smith once pointed out just don’t
understand, and it’s generally tough sledding with other adults
always trying to share their advice and tell me what they’d do
in my shoes, but I think the best artists know how to tune out
the white noise of the outside world and focus on the task (or art)
at hand, and so I might fail at fatherhood, but I’ll do what my heart
says is right and remember that all adults used to be kids and that
we all just wanted a safe place to grow into incredible artists.

*****

Robert Lee Brewer is Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community and author of Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53). He has a house full of poets and artists. Follow him on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer.

The post 2019 April PAD Challenge: Day 12 appeared first on WritersDigest.com.


from WD Blogs – WritersDigest.com
https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-12

No comments:

Post a Comment