Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Danielle Burby of HSG Agency) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Danielle: Danielle started at HSG (Hannigan Salky Getzler) in 2013 and now serves as a junior agent and the agency’s foreign rights manager. She is actively building her client list. Danielle graduated from Hamilton College with honors and a double major in Creative Writing and Women’s Studies. Before finding her home at HSG, she interned at Writers House, Clarion Books, Faye Bender Literary Agency, Dunow Carlson and Lerner, John Wiley and Sons, and SquareOne Publishers (along with stints as a waitress and a farmers’ market vendor). Danielle was involved in way too many singing groups in college and is always up for karaoke. She also enjoys both tea and coffee, managing to defy the naysayers who claim they’re an either-or thing. She is, however, distinctly a chocolate person. You can follow her on twitter at @danielleburby.
She is seeking: young adult, mystery, women’s fiction, and an occasional fantasy.
She gravitates toward stories with a strong voice and particularly enjoys complex female characters, narratives that explore social issues, and coming-of-age stories. Genres that appeal to her include contemporary YA, medieval fantasy, historical fiction, cozy mysteries, and upmarket women’s fiction. She finds it hard to resist gorgeous writing and is a sucker for romantic plotlines that are an element of the narrative, but don’t dominate it.
How to submit: Email a query letter and the first five pages of your manuscript to dburby [at] hsgagency.com. No attachments.
Check Out These Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- June 25-28, 2015: Jackson Hole Writers Conference (Jackson Hole, WY)
- July 31- Aug. 2, 2015: Writer’s Digest Conference (New York, NY)
- Sept. 12, 2015: Michigan Writing Workshop (Detroit, MI)
- Oct 9: San Diego Writers’ Conference (San Diego, CA)
- Oct 10: The Writing Conference of Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
- Oct. 17, 2015: Books by the Banks Book Festival (Cincinnati, OH)
- Oct. 24, 2015: Indiana Writers’ Conference (Indianapolis, IN)
- Nov. 13, 2015: Connecticut Writing Workshop (Hartford, CT)
- Nov 14, 2015: Boston Writing Conference (Boston, MA)
- Feb. 19, 2016: Alabama Writing Workshop (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 20, 2016: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2016: Tampa Writers Conference (Tampa, FL)
- March 26, 2016: Fort Lauderdale Conference for Writers (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- The Writer’s Journey:How Much Can Someone Possibly Stand?
- What Is Steampunk?
- Agent Spotlight: Mark Gottlieb (Trident Media) seeks Fiction, YA, MG, NA and Science Fiction.
- How I Got My Book Deal: Mary Weber (YA Fantasy).
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and writing a query letter.
The post New Literary Agent Alert: Danielle Burby of HSG Agency appeared first on WritersDigest.com.
from WritersDigest.com » Writing Editor Blogs