Monday, May 2, 2016

Magic 9: Poetic Forms

Look for the winner of the tricube poetic form challenge tomorrow. But in the meantime, let’s take a look a new (to this blog) poetic form that we’ll be challenging ourselves to later this week.

Like the tricube, the magic 9 is a newer form and relatively unknown. In fact, I couldn’t find a creator of the form, though it appears to have been inspired by a poet misspelling the word “abracadabra.”

This 9-line poem doesn’t have any rules as far as meter or subject matter–just a rhyme scheme: abacadaba.

That’s right! Just remove the r’s from “abracadabra,” and boom! A new poetic form; and after writing my first magic 9, I can report that they’re fun to write.

*****

Recreating_Poetry_Revise_PoemsRe-create Your Poetry!

Revision doesn’t have to be a chore–something that should be done after the excitement of composing the first draft. Rather, it’s an extension of the creation process!

In the 48-minute tutorial video Re-creating Poetry: How to Revise Poems, poets will be inspired with several ways to re-create their poems with the help of seven revision filters that they can turn to again and again.

Click to continue.

*****

Here’s my attempt at a magic 9:

The Next

Perhaps, I should sit for a spell,
though maybe I should stand,
for I want to whisper and yell
that she is mine, “O, she is mine!”
Or am I hers? I cannot tell
if I am one thing or the next
since that brief moment that I fell
for blue eyes like a wand
casting an ancient, binding spell.

*****

Robert Lee Brewer is Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community and author of Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53). Follow him on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer.

*****

Find more poetic posts here:

The post Magic 9: Poetic Forms appeared first on WritersDigest.com.


from WritersDigest.com » Writing Editor Blogs
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/magic-9-poetic-forms

No comments:

Post a Comment