Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Alexandra Weiss of Jennifer De Chiara Literary ) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Alexandra: Alexandra Weiss recently joined The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency as an associate agent and is currently building her client list. She’s also a Books Writer for Bustle.com and PR Manager for a Chicago circus. She previously worked as an Acquisitions Editor for an award-winning anthology and holds a BFA in Creative Writing and Publishing from Columbia College Chicago.
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
- Young Adult: realism, magical realism, science fiction (especially if it includes real science and or astronomy), paranormal, historical fiction, and fantasy. She’s searching for beautiful writing, diverse voices, and subjects that go beyond the coming-of-age story. Pirates are cool, space travelers are awesome, and talented magicians are the way to her heart.
- Middle Grade and Children’s Fiction: open to all genres. She loves adventurous, silly, out-of-the-box, and character-driven stories.
- Other Fiction: She’s not looking for romance, but she is seeking a story that takes the concept that every story is a love story to new heights. She’s searching for stories about complex relationships that surround bigger issues. Literary or magical realism is preferred, but the only genres she’s not interested in are nonfiction, heavy mysteries, horror, or thriller novels.
- If you have a short story collection, essay collection, or happen to use unique forms in your novel (think letters, how-to, photos, poetry, or screenplays) and fit her other criteria, she’s interested to hear from you.
How to submit: Please email a query letter with the word “Query” in the subject line to alexweiss.jdlit [at] gmail.com. Please send the first 20 pages in the body of the e-mail, along with a one-paragraph bio and one-paragraph synopsis. Established picture book authors, please email your query and bio with the complete picture book manuscript pasted into the body of the email.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers’ Conferences:
- May 14, 2016: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- June 4, 2016: The Writers’ Conference of Cleveland (Cleveland, OH)
- July 23, 2016: “Get Published” Conference of Tennessee (Nashville, TN)
- July 30, 2016: Colorado Writing Workshop (Denver, CO)
- Aug. 12-14, 2016: Writer’s Digest Conference East (New York, NY)
- Sept. 9, 2016: Sacramento Writers Conference (Sacramento, CA)
- Sept. 10, 2016: Writing Workshop of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- Sept. 10, 2016: Chesapeake Writing Workshop (Washington, DC)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.
The post New Literary Agent Alert: Alexandra Weiss of Jennifer De Chiara Literary appeared first on WritersDigest.com.
from WritersDigest.com » Writing Editor Blogs