Monday, April 11, 2016

2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 11

Sometimes you just have to say it: I’m having a Monday. They happen. Once every seven days. Let’s poem anyway.

For today’s prompt, write a defensive poem. The first thing that springs to my mind is getting defensive about an accusation, which may or may not be true. The next thing I think about might be people or animals defending themselves. Or defense in sports. Or defense in the court room. Or well, there’s a lot to defend in this world.

*****

Poet's Market 2016

Poet’s Market 2016

Publish Your Poetry!

The 2016 Poet’s Market, edited by Robert Lee Brewer, includes hundreds of poetry markets, including listings for poetry publications, publishers, contests, and more! With names, contact information, and submission tips, poets can find the right markets for their poetry and achieve more publication success than ever before.

In addition to the listings, there are articles on the craft, business, and promotion of poetry–so that poets can learn the ins and outs of writing poetry and seeking publication. Plus, it includes a one-year subscription to the poetry-related information on WritersMarket.com. All in all, it’s the best resource for poets looking to secure publication.

Click to continue.

*****

Here’s my attempt at a Defensive Poem:

“The Older I Get”

The less, I’ve noticed, I tend
to defend myself, though, I
admit, I do speak up more
for those who seem, whether
they do or not, to need it,
and I’m not sure if that makes
me wiser or just a guy who
sticks his nose in places
it doesn’t belong, and, as long
as I’m on the subject, I’m
pretty sure I could’ve beat
you at cards if the deck
wasn’t stacked against me.

*****

roberttwitterimageRobert Lee Brewer can get defensive about himself and other people. Hey, it happens. But he has learned that it’s never a good idea to engage in a defensive argument with people who aren’t really interested in understanding his side of things. It never ends well; in fact, it never ends if a person gets caught in one of these loops. Better to move on to folks and projects that will be productive.

Brewer is Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community, which means he gets to do a million things to help writers find more success with their writing (including this blog). He’s also the author of Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53).

Connect with him on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer.

*****

Find more poetic posts here:

The post 2016 April PAD Challenge: Day 11 appeared first on WritersDigest.com.


from WritersDigest.com » Writing Editor Blogs
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/2016-april-pad-challenge-day-11

No comments:

Post a Comment